If you have ever attended a party for an expectant mother, you know what kind of gifts they receive. Essentials like clothes, shoes and toys are always on the gift list, which makes you wonder if you are buying the same gift that someone else is giving. Repeats are a way of life at such parties, which is why it is better to make a gift yourself. It may take a little more time, but it is also special and sure to be unique. Below are instructions for two very easy baby gift ideas that you can make easily make on your own.
What You Will Need:
- One clay pot
- White paint
- Either blue or pink paint (depending on gender of the baby)
- Cup of water for rinsing paintbrushes
- Small trinkets and baby-themed items to glue to clay pot
- One bottle of unscented baby oil or similar
- Small bowl to pour oil in
- Small decorative bottles (plastic or glass work well) with cap or cork
- All-natural scented oils of your choice
- Small funnel
- Ribbons and/or trinkets to decorate bottles
Making the Baby Pottery
1. Make sure your pot is clean, dry and free of debris
2. Pour a small amount of white paint into bowl and carefully paint the entire clay pot inside and out
3. Let pot dry and repeat with a second coat if necessary
4. Take blue or pink paint and carefully paint the rim of the clay pot in the appropriate colour for the gender of the baby
5. Let dry and repeat coat if necessary
6. Once dry; use dab glue on the back of the decorations then firmly stick onto the clay pot, holding for 20 seconds. Let all pieces dry.
7. Fill with sweets, flowers, baby items or anything else you would like and give as a gift for an expectant mother
Making the Baby Perfume
1. Pour baby oil into bowl
2. Mix in scent of your choice into the oil and mix well
3. Using funnel, pour freshly mixed oil into the decorative bottles
4. Use cork or cap to seal bottle
5. Decorate outside of bottle with ribbons, paint or trinkets of your choice
6. Allow oil to set inside bottle for at least 24 hours before giving
Tips, Tricks and Cautions
- Make sure the paints you use on the clay pot are good for porous surfaces, as clay is extremely porous. If you plan to put a plant in the pot (instead of using it for decorative purposes), then don’t paint the inside of the pot and make sure that the paint on the outside is water and weather proof.
- For the baby perfume, make sure the scented oils you use are all natural and contain no alcohol or anything else that can irritate a baby’s young, sensitive skin. Essential oils are great for this project – not only are they all natural but very potent, a little will go a long way!
- Another good idea for the baby perfume is to use things like real lavender leaves that are crushed and mixed into the oil. They make the bottle look much more decorative and lavender makes a baby want to go to sleep – what every new parent wants!