No matter what gift you give to that special someone in your life, they are likely to appreciate it very much. The gift in question could be a simple item they bought from a nearby shop or a more extravagant gift that will surprise them. But no matter what, a gift that you made at home will get the most appreciation from them, since you took the time to make it yourself. Even if it does not come out perfect, they will likely love it. But where do you find the time and ideas to make a handmade gift? We can’t help you find the time, but we can sure help with the ideas!
What You Will Need:
- A computer with internet access
- Periodicals and Newspapers to read
- A free day to roam markets and shops
- Paper and a writing utensil to jot down ideas or notes
Where to Search
- The internet is perhaps the easiest place to search for gift ideas. The information found on the internet is available to you day and night and is very convenient. Search for terms such as ‘craft ideas’, ‘gift ideas’, ‘easy homemade gifts’ and the like. If you have a specific project in mind, use ‘how to make’ along with the name of the gift you would like to make and see if it would be feasible to try and make that gift at home. If you are new to hand-made gifts, try something at the elementary level first then work your way up.
- Daily newspapers are great sources of gift ideas. The advertisements and articles about the newest trends in all aspects of life can give you great ideas of what to buy (or in this case make) for your loved one. Magazines are also an endless source of ideas for gifts to make at home as well.
- Seasonal fairs and outdoor markets are full of all kinds of items up for sale. From fresh fruits and vegetables to used antiques, these giant gatherings of vendors can give you great gift-making ideas. In fact, many vendors sell their own handmade gifts. You could buy the unique handmade items and give them as the gift or simply lift the idea, buy the supplies and then make it on your own.
- Use your talents or skills to make a handmade gift. This may be the easiest way to make a person a gift. Sit down and think about what talents and skills you have. Can you draw, paint, do woodwork, sing or play a musical instrument? Believe it or not, you can turn all of these into a gift. Woodworkers can make a wooden picture frame or jewelry box for your loved one. An artist can make a caricature, cartoon or portrait of the person in question. A musician can write a song or at least a lyrical poem. All of these take time and effort to accomplish and come with your own personalisation on them, since you used a talent or skill to accomplish them.
- Brainstorm for yourself. You can do all of the things we said here or you can just sit down with a pencil and paper and do some thinking of your own. Even if you don’t consider yourself creative, you might be surprised at what you might come up with to make as a gift.