Gifts in a jar are a simple yet interesting idea. Quite simply, a gift in a jar is a jar that contains ingredients to make an item of food such as a cake, soup or special biscuits. Any type of glass jar will work well. The main requirement is that it has a tight fitting lid. Attractive looking food jars can be recycled to make gifts in a jar. They should be cleaned and then sterilized before use.
Gifts in a Jar
Gifts in a jar make great gifts. This is a great way to share a special family dish or recipe and makes a very special and personal gift. A simple glass jar is all that is required to package a gift, however this also presents lots of opportunity for decoration and customising. Decorate the jar with glass paints, make a special label with ingredients and instructions, and create a special jar topper to finish the jar in style.
Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
Here are some ideas for making gifts in a jar:
- Soup – one of the most popular forms of gifts in a jar is soup ingredients. There are many different dried vegetables and pulses that are ideal for making soup. These have the added advantage of looking attractive when layered in a glass jar. Dried herbs and spices can also be added to dried soup mixes.
- Cakes – dried cake ingredients make great gifts in a jar ideas. Many different types of cake work well but only dried ingredients should be used. Make a note to go with the gift saying what additional ingredients need to be added along with baking instructions. Ingredients such as dried fruit, nuts or chocolate drops can be layered to give an attractive finish.
- Biscuits and cookies – biscuit and cookie ingredients are also great for making gifts in a jar. Chocolate chip cookie recipes with both white and milk chocolate drops look particularly appealing when packed in a jar.
- Seasoning and marinades – another interesting idea for gifts in a jar are mixes of seasoning and marinades. Blends of herbs and spices along with preparation instructions make great gifts. Ingredients for a chilli, curry or any other sauce that uses a blend of herbs and spices looks attractive when layered in a jar.
How to Decorate Gifts in a Jar
Part of the fun in creating gifts in a jar is decorating the jar. There are many ways to do this including:
- Fabric jar toppers – make an attractive fabric jar topper from a piece of fabric. Cut a circle of fabric to fasten over the jar top and hold this in place with a ribbon or piece of cord.
- Ingredients list and cooking instructions – make a small card to contain a list of ingredients and cooking instructions. Decorate the card so that it follows the theme of the gift in a jar. Rubber stamps, card toppers and other embellishments make great decorations.
- Ribbons, bows and beads – add ribbons, bows and beads to the jar to add further decorations. Tie a ribbon or bow around the jar lid or attach some beads using craft wire or cord.
Gifts in a jar are a fun and quick craft idea and a perfect way to make handmade gifts for a variety of occasions.